Dec 23, 2022

Sri Priya Mess at Kalanivasal , Karaikudi

Simple ambience
Today our drive from Bengaluru to karaikudi took longer than usual due to the Christmas holiday crowd on the highway. We had a late breakfast at Murugan Idli kadai near Krishnagiri and decided to try lunch at the famous Sri Priya mess after reaching Karaikudi. But it was nearly 4 PM when we reached the mess and were surprised to see it still open. This was my first lunch out at Karaikudi in 20 years. 

I came to know that Priya mess has almost a 50 year heritage and now there are two branches run seperately by the next generation. We went to the one at Kalanivasal road. The cusine here is obviously Chettinad. The interior ambience was  like any other small town eatery. 

Since it was almost closing time, few of their signature non veg dishes were not available. The non veg meal option was simple. It had rice served on banana leaf along with 2 vegetable dishes. Today it was yam and bottle gourd poriyal. Both tasted good.

Meals on banana leaf

Then came a variety of thick gravies to choose from...we tried country chicken, crab and fish gravies. The gravies were really delicious, rich in chettinad flavor with well balanced spices.

From the available side dish options we went for mutton kolas, Fish fry, Prawns and Goat liver fry. My picks were the liver fry and Prawns  that tasted perfect. The fish fry and mutton kolas were just OK. 

Side dishes
The rasam tasted fantastic and I ended with my customary curd and rice. The lady waitress was extremely courteous which is rare to see now a days.  
Banana leaf design on the table

Goli soda
We tried the Jallikattu brand Goli Soda in blueberry flavor. Nithila loved it to my surprise. 

Overall a satisfactory experience. We decided to visit again someday at proper lunch time and try out some of their famed non veg chettinad side dishes...!




15 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your delici ous food! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am drooling over the curries. I haven't eaten any hot and spicy food since I started having stomach problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops hope you get well soon Nancy

      Delete
  3. OK. You have me hungry by now! All we´ll have is potatoe-salad and cold sausage (a Christmas dish).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ! Have a feast Iris :) merry Christmas

      Delete
  4. It seems you had good food!
    Have a nice time, Ashok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely would love to try the liver! Prawns sound great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should try Angie ..you'll love it

      Delete
  6. I also used to drink Jallikattu goli soda, and I like drinking their paneer soda. But they sell it in plastic bottles than glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh is it? I will try their paneer soda next time

      Delete
  7. I love India food. My new British Grandson-in-Law is the only family member who loves it like I do and he has found a decent India restaurant in Tulsa. We plan to go there together soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow..looking forward to hearing your experience at the Indian restaurant soon Granny :)

      Delete