The Swedish Hospital at Thirupattur was started in 1909 by Dr.F.Kugelberg, a Swedish Eye Doctor . The land was gifted by the Raja of Sivagangai. It was patronized by Raja Sir Annamalai chettiar and also other wealthy families from the chettiar community. A host of Swedish doctors dedicated their service to the upliftment of this once backward area ..The campus was gradually handed over to the Tamil Evangelic Lutheran Church (TELC) and run by Indian doctors after Independence. The campus houses a nursing college and a blind school aswell. But due to mismanagement and internal politics of the Church in recent times, this once reputed institution has been closed down and has become a part of history.
|The main entrance of the Swedish Hospital... a sad sight!|
|the quite corridors that connect various wards & departments...now used only by cows, stray dogs and snakes|
|Stone laid in 1930 ..in appreciation of 25 years of Dr.Kugelbergs' service|
|The Memorial built on the spot were the Marudhu Brothers were executed and burried by the British in 1801.
UPDATE : Good news! The Hospital is in the process of revival...Pls click "SMH" for more updates