Jan 19, 2023

Ashokism award 2022 ...Kadaisi Vivasayi


My choice for the best Tamil movie of 2022 goes to Kadaisi Vivasayi (The Last Farmer)...a film by Director M.Manikandan. The down to earth story of a simple 80 year old farmer has been told with metaphorical layers of surrealism and spiritualism yet staying within grounded realism. Every character is believable. Manikandan does a superlative job in conveying the messages on social issues without being preachy. Nallandi as the farmer impresses you from his first shot till the finish. Its hard to believe that this is his first movie! Sad to know he passed away before the movie hit the screen. Vijay Sethupathi does a lovely cameo role. Manikandan's camera work was a treat to watch. I would love to see more of such grounded movies in Tamil... Thanks Manikandan.

[The movie is on Sony liv if you plan to watch on OTT]



Other praise worthy movies I saw in 2022 were  Gargi and Taanakkaran

Best Song of 2022 :  Chola Chola from PS1 
Composer : AR Rahman
Singers : VM Mahalingam , Nakul Abhyankar and Sathyaprakash
Lyrics : Ilango Krishnan


9 comments:

  1. That's what I always look for in a movie : realism and believable characters.
    The video with the Cola Cola song is very lively and entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch many movies, but it does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't watch many movies either but do enjoy the ones based on true stories,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard many good things about Kadaisi Vivasayi but unable to see because I don't have this OTT. Will try to see it sometime in the future. Do continue recommending good Tamil movies you've watched.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  6. Completely agree! Kadaisi Vivasayi ending was moving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear that he passed away before the movie came out. I'd like to see the movie myself.

    Have a peaceful weekend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great movie. Sorry that he passed away before the movie came out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the video - so expressive and fun to see

    ReplyDelete