May 17, 2023

My childhood unusual Pets

As a kid I had some very interesting pets...life was very simple then and pets were very much an inseparable part of my childhood. I have tried to recollect my memories on a few interesting and unusual ones...

1. Wild Guppies -  These were tiny wild guppies that we used to catch from a local drain (suduthanni vaaikal) that ran inside the Madurai railway colony. The males come in an array of colors and used to add a lot of life to my aquarium. 


2. River fishes - Fishing with a towel in the Vaigai river along with my street friends was great fun. The most common catch was a cichlid kind of flat fish that grew to a length of about 2.5 inches. We used to call them as "sappatai". I used to keep them in a seperate tub along with few other river fishes , shrimps and snails.


3. Squirrel -  A baby Squirrel once fell out of its nest and I had to rescue the little one. I named him 'Bunny' and even used to carry it in my pocket to school. As Bunny grew and his teeth started growing, he used to nimble on everything at home and used to drive  my mom crazy. He was a fun pet and once he was big enough, I let him out into a tree in the neighborhood where he soon found his friends.


4. Ponnvandu - I used to catch these golden beetles from the kodikapuli trees (puthecellobium dulce) inside the YMCC school campus at the end of our street. I kept them in shoe boxes or Horlicks Bottles with perforated caps  and sometimes took them to school in a matchbox to showoff to schoolmates!


5. Hare-   Our family had gone to my grandma's house in Chennai for our annual school vacation. It must have been the mid 80s. My Uncle, Rev.Augustine Andrews took us on a picnic to the Adyar children's park. While we were resting for lunch,  we found a small Hare that had accidentally fallen into a dry water fountain pit that was next to where we had sat for lunch. It was totally exhausted (no idea how long it must have been there in that pit) and my uncle picked it up by the ear and rescued the little fellow. We brought him home and he became my playmate for the entire duration of our vacation. Unfortunately my parents didn't allow me to bring it with me to Madurai and I had to leave it in my Grandma's house. 


6. Country Hens - My grandmother bought for me two country hens from the local karimedu market. One was white and the other was black. My dad had leghorns kept in a coop for eggs. They were always inside the coop and hence no fun. But these country hens were free ranging and much more entertaining! At dusk, they used to retire on the mulberry tree in our side yard. They befriended a neighbor's rooster and he too started retiring to our mulberry tree after dusk. Soon both the hens started laying eggs. While we consumed the white hen's eggs, we saved the black hen's eggs for hatching. To our surprise, the black hen did not sit for hatching while the white hen was ready. So we let the white hen to hatch the black hen's eggs. After 21 days we saw 8 lovely chicks. The whole life process was a memorable experience for me as a kid!



7. Black Headed Munias - My grandpa gifted me 6 of these birds that he bought from our local shanty market. He even got a carpenter to build a proper cage house for the birds. The munia's are like sparrows and are very chirpy and fun to have as pets. But after two of them died after some months, I was so saddened that I opened the cage and let the others fly away.



So what unusual pets do you have or have had in the past? 

19 comments:

  1. I've had a pet chicken...would habe loved your golden beetle!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! You sure had a lot of pets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an animal lover

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had an aquarium when I was a kid. We had guppies and other fish, kissing fish, neon fish, angels fish and convicts. Had a few hamsters and parakeets when growing up.. Lots of great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow..I've always had an aquarium at home ever since my childhood. Fishes are great stress busters 😀

      Delete
  5. Fascinating pets! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to have snakes as pets in the home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snakes?! That beats everything!

      Delete
  7. Cool collection of pets! We only ever had cats in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is wonderful. And cool pets !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How interesting to read about your childhood pets, visiting and even more so staying on a farm teaches us many things. You were a kind child with your animals.
    I was very afraid of dogs when very young so my parents bought one so I could get used to dogs, it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely 'pets' memories! I like chickens and squirrels, but was not allowed to have them as pets. A cat was our only pet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had many different pets growing up, especially the golden beetles. They were all interesting to hear about and brought you much joy. I had mostly dogs in my childhood, and once a parrot.

    Thank you for the birthday wishes. I appreciate it.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. The guppies are so pretty. I love that you rescued the wild hare and he became your pet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every happy childhood should involve pets. I had a pet owl that I rescued as a baby when it had fallen from the nest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quite resoursefull in your choice of pets as a child. It's clever to make the best of what's available or offered.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful pets. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. awe !!!! you had quite many pets wow
    hens were so common in our village and mom was counted among fortunate who have lots of chickens :) she later petted cats and when she moved to Islamabad she had parrots for fifteen years almost .pets are lots of fun
    sorry your parents did not allow to have hare . i too could not allow my eldest son to have a dog

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh such an interesting array of "pets'... Love those fish in the first photo ... Hard to imagine that you could just gather them up from outside. I always love when I'm at one of our lakes up here and somebody has thrown in a few random koi along with the fish native to the lakes where trucks show up and pour them into the water for fishing.

    ReplyDelete